Across the country, pre-service elementary and early childhood teachers and teachers seeking dual-certification in special education are often required to pass rigorous, high-stakes tests related to the foundations of reading development. According to Pearson, the developer of many of the states’ certification tests, “The Foundations of Reading assessment focuses on development, instruction, and assessment of reading. It covers the essential components of reading development and best practices in reading instruction and assessment identified by reading research.” Few can argue with the importance of developing a deep knowledge in reading development. The problem is, test-takers typically spend significant amounts of time in independent study for this important test without a clear plan for studying strategically (or efficiently). As a result, many fail without guidance on how to prepare effectively.
Jen’s approach to her blended workshop is a unique one. She offers tried-and-true methods of test preparation combined with a deep commitment to helping workshop participants develop knowledge that will extend beyond the test into the classroom–where it really matters. Jen’s sessions also have a personal feel and are responsive to the needs of the group. Not only do workshop participants develop the knowledge and skills to pass the test, they also learn alongside others that addressing test-anxiety can be just as important as learning content.
Goals for the Workshop
- Understand the format of the test
- Deepen content knowledge across each component addressed on the test
- Develop test-taking strategies for multiple choice
- Practice understanding, analyzing and responding to open response questions with guidance and feedback
How can Teaching and Learning Alliance help you with the Foundations of Reading?
When you register for our worskhop, we provide multiple levels of support for you including:
- 6 Hours of of a Virtual Workshop with Jennifer Yaeger
- Office Hours for additional support with Jennifer Yaeger
- Access to over 10 pre-recorded modules on key content and test-taking strategies to support you in independent study
- A copy of our spiral-bound Foundations of Reading study guide, mailed to your home